Sunday, October 25, 2009


I so hope that Monster Boy does not have the swine flu. I have a sneaking suspicion that is what we are battling here though. Yuck. I have him quarantined to our bedroom (where the TV is so he can be occupied during his banishment) to keep him away from the baby, and we are spraying down every surface with Lysol at night before we settle down in there. I'm not really sure what else to do except make him continually wash his hands and stay away from the rest of us as much as possible. How do you do that with a four year old, anyways? He's been battling SOMETHING on and off for about a week now - but this afternoon his fever shot up to 104 WITH Tylenol. That freaked me out a bit, so I called the doctor's office. The on-call doc called me back and said it could be flu, but if it is, he's out of the time-frame for Tamiflu to be effective, so unless his fever got totally out of control, to just treat the symptoms until we can get him in tomorrow, rather than taking him to the ER and risking exposing him to the flu if that isn't what he has. I am sincerely hoping that it isn't what he has. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upper respiratory infection or something like that, that we can put him on antibiotics for and send him back to school on Wednesday in time for his class Halloween party. Poor guy.

Miss Sunshine seems to *knock on wood* have escaped whatever it is that he has. And Daddy Mac and I, while battling headaches, seem to so far be illness free as well. I certainly expect that to change, at least for me, in the next day or two, as I have been the one providing all his care at this point so I've been exposed to him a lot more. If I come down with something, I'll be calling in reinforcements to take over Miss Sunshine to avoid giving it to her if at all possible.

On the plus side, I gave Miss Sunshine chunks of pumpkin bread today, and she wolfed it down. Apparently my weird little kid likes Hummus, pumpkin bread, and guacamole. Who knows. At least she is eating some solids. I'd like to get her on a more regular solid schedule but every time I try that, she tends to start a boycott, so we'll just keep up with what we have been doing, which is rice cereal in the bottles and solids a few times a week. I really would like to see her gain quite a bit of weight before her surgery though. When we took her in to the doctor two weeks ago for the Roseola, she was 13lbs 14 oz, but that was fully clothed, so who knows what she ACTUALLY weighs at this point. I was really hoping to get her up around 15 lbs by her nine month appointment, but since that is in two weeks, I'm not holding my breath that will happen. HOPEFULLY we can get her close to 18 before her surgery though, I would feel much better about that. We shall see, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment