Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The scoop (or poop) on cloth diapering...

I am sure I have mentioned on here before that we cloth diaper Little Miss Sunshine. When we found out I was getting laid off, I looked into it as an alternative to pricey disposables. And the more info I found, the more I felt it was 100% the right decision for us.

I LOVE Cloth Diapering. I love everything about it. The diapers are ADORABLE, it really isn't much more work than using disposables, and I feel like I'm doing some small part to help the environment, and my baby's behind at the same time.

The reality is - these aren't our mom's cloth diapers. I have yet to use a diaper pin or a pair of rubber pants. My current favorite style of cloth diapers are my pocket diapers - diapers that are already waterproofed, you simply put some kind of absorbent insert in, put the diaper on the baby, and go... with fitteds (cloth diapers that do require a cover of some kind) a close second. I have yet to try wool covers, although I hear great things about them.

I've made many forays into the cloth diapering world, trying out many different types of diapers, and even making my own (which are pretty darn cute, if I do say so myself...). I have learned many tricks and tips along the way.

One thing about cloth diapering that nobody prepared me for was washing them. You can't wash cloth diapers with regular detergent. Well, you can, but then you are going to be doing a million clean water rinses to get detergent residue out. Because detergent residue affects your diapers. Reduces their absorbency, causes diaper rash, etc... Lucky for us, there are some great mommies out there, who, through trial and error, have developed cloth diaper safe detergents! these are clean rinsing detergents who get your diapers nice and bright, soft and most importantly CLEAN, without leaving residue behind. There are a tons of brands out there. I have used Rockin' Green Cloth Diaper Detergent personally myself since I discovered cloth detergents. Another brand I'd like to try out is Clean B Detergent. And, in fact, they are having a little giveaway right now, in celebration of reaching 750 fans on Facebook. (Did you like how I segued that giveaway in there? Talent, huh?) You should go check them out. Tell them I sent you. And maybe, just maybe, if you don't already, give some thought to cloth diapering yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment