Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembrance...

All day today, I remembered.

I remembered being woken up by a phone call from a friend, asking if I thought a mutual friend of ours was okay.  I was ALL kinds of confused.  And then she clued me in - the first tower had been hit at the World Trade Center, as well as the Pentagon.  Our friend worked at the Pentagon (she was not there that day, thankfully).

I remember heading to class, listening in horror to my car radio as the second tower was hit.

I remember coming out of class, going to the student union to get a drink, and seeing everyone standing in silence and shock, watching as the towers fell.

I remember going to class where my professors were in as much shock as the rest of us, and pretty much just sat there for the hour of time we were there.

I remember the days of fear that followed - my sister was supposed to be on a flight that day to come home for a visit - obviously her flight was canceled.  She made it home a week later, and I remember being nervous the entire time I knew she was on the plane.

I remember life before 9/11/2001.  And I know life after.

My children will never know a life where that day does not exist.  It was before their time, but, much like Vietnam was before mine, they will hear the stories, they will see the pictures, and they will grow up knowing that their world is forever different because of what happened.

And today, ten years later, I still remember.  I will ALWAYS remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment