Monday, July 14, 2014

Surgery number 6 (or is it 7? I've lost track...)

Wow, it's been a terribly long time since I've been on here, hasn't it?  I suppose that comes with the territory of working, going to nursing school and raising two kids.

So, updates.  It's summer break here.  The kids are crazy, and I think we are all about ready for school to start back up.  We went to Disney World in May, and it was AMAZING!  Seriously, it was the best experience we could have hoped for.  The kids are already talking about when we can go back.

Miss Sunshine had another surgery after we came back.  This time, she had the impacted tube removed, and the ENT did a patch on her eardrum.  Because her last several tests have showed no fluid in her left ear (where the eardrum is intact), the ENT felt it was time to repair the right ear.  Surgery went well although recovery was a bit nerve wracking.  She did not want to wake up, and then didn't want to drink anything post op.  And they wouldn't let us leave until she had something to eat or drink and kept it down.  She finally sucked on enough of a Popsicle for us to go home.  Then it was on to the daunting task of keeping a five year old from doing any gymnastics type activity, and getting no water in the ear of a child who has hair down to their butt.  Not stressful at all.  We had our initial post operative follow up three weeks after surgery - so far so good!  Her eardrum even had some movement, which the ENT said was unexpected.  Her hearing is still down, but that is normal with this surgery.  We go back at the beginning of August for a hearing test to see where she is at.  This surgery was necessary, so we had little choice in regards to doing it, but it does carry the risk of hearing loss.  And since it was on the ear that already has hearing loss, that was a bit scary.  In addition, prior to the surgery, she was borderline for needing a hearing aid in that ear, so if she does have hearing loss as a result we will be dealing with that as well.  Obviously, Mommy is a bit of a mess with this next appointment looming over us.  Happy thoughts would be great about now.

Monster Boy has struggled a lot this year.  We began having major issues with his behavior at school back in October.  It got very bad very fast, and we were at our wits end.  He was finally diagnosed ADHD in December, and after much reluctance, we started medication in January.  I believe medication has a purpose, and I am not against using medications when necessary.  That said, I do try to avoid using medication unless it is 100% needed.  I don't medicate for low fevers, coughs, etc.  so putting him on a daily controlled substance he will likely need at least through school, if not life long, was intimidating to me.  It was a difficult decision, but it was absolutely the right thing to do for our child.  After starting the meds, it was like I had my son back.  I am not naive.  I realize my children can be difficult, handfuls. And downright crazy at times.  But his behavior was so far beyond that, that he really wasn't the kid I knew anymore.  Since starting the meds, he brought his grade in behavior from an F to an A!  I couldn't be more proud of the strides he has made, and I look forward to the new school year rather than dreading it.

Things have been difficult for us as a family the first half of this year, and the road ahead is sure to have more twists and turns as we go along.  But I'm beginning to see a nice, straight, clear stretch of highway in the distance, and I know we can make it to the easy point of our journey if we just keep on moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment