Monday, July 14, 2014

Princess fever

Miss Sunshine is obsessed with princesses.  If she's not in her school uniform, she's in a princess dress.  In fact, she was reduced to tears earlier today when Daddy Mac informed her she needed to take her princess dress off so he could wash it.


I have to be honest - the whole princess thing drives me CRAZY.  I don't want my daughter growing up thinking that the way someone looks is more important that what is on the inside.  I don't want her thinking she needs a man to solve her problems.  I want her to love herself for who she is, to be strong and independent and ready to face the world.  I worry that this obsession with princesses and all things pretty is setting up a level of abnormal expectation in her eyes.  At the same time, it makes her so incredibly happy, and she is so incredibly confident in herself, that I just can't bring myself to take that away.  Because isn't that what we all want, in reality?  A happy child who loves themselves?
And the truth is - she is beautiful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment