Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Preschool.... or not.

We got some disappointing news this week about Miss Sunshine's preschool enrollment.  Without going in to a lot of detail, in the end, the school effectively eliminated the three year old preschool class.  While I understand the reasons, it does not lessen my disappointment in both the canceling of the class and the way the situation was handled.  I am trying to be understanding about the position the administrators have found themselves in, but the truth is, I felt disrespected.  And the fact that this was handled via a one page letter, and then at a meeting tonight, AFTER parents called and complained, found out that even the scenario the letter outline (which included a cost increase of more than double) wasn't even accurate due to licensing situations with the daycare they were planning to move the preschool program to, I do think that the situation could not have been handled more poorly had they tried.

We had our reasons for choosing to enroll Miss Sunshine in preschool now.  I know that three year old programs are not necessary, or even popular.  We did not feel that academically or socially she needed this program.  Our reasons for choosing to put her in the program centered around getting her used to the school environment and away from me.  Because she is with me, pretty much all the time, or family members, she is rather clingy.  Two days a week for a few hours seemed like a good way to transition her to the school environment, as she will have to go to school five days a week for half days next year.  Since the preschool option we enrolled her for is no longer available, she will not be attending preschool at all.

Disappointed barely begins to sum up my feelings on the matter, but it's all I've got right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment