Monday, September 6, 2010

Reflection

We made a drive to Springfield (I'll let you guess which state - I know, I'm such a tease) this weekend for my cousin's wedding.

First, I can't believe my cousins are old enough to be getting married - I am by far the oldest (my sister is closest in age to me, and then it's at least five years down the line) of the third generation in my family, and realizing that my cousins are now old enough to be getting married makes me feel even older than that whole "in my 30's" milestone I hit week before last.

And then I realized that it has been four years that Daddy Mac and I have been together. Some days it feels like it's been a lifetime, and some days it feels like it was just yesterday.

Maybe it was the wedding, or the timing, or really, who knows what. But I've just been thinking the last few days how very very lucky I am to have met a man like him when I did. Well, maybe not met. I really met him nearly five years before we started dating, and I'll be honest, I didn't like him much when I met him. My husband is very self-assured, and that can sometimes come across as arrogant. He is really not like that at all - in fact, very much the opposite, but he can easily come across that way from time to time. And that was indeed my first impression of him. He'll freely admit he wasn't much of a fan of mine, either. I admit to my faults - I know I have them! Somewhere along the line, though, he decided to ask me out. I don't know (and I don't really think he does either) if it was a whim, or what, but I was unable to go out with him the first time he asked because of my son. At that point, I think it became a matter of pride - you know, that whole male, I can't believe she turned me down, now I have to get her to go out with me type of thing. So I agreed to go out with him, and it turned out we had so much in common, it was almost eerie. And things progressed (rather quickly, honestly) from there. We were engaged six months after we started dating, although it was over a year later that we got married. But honestly, he was 30 and I was 27 and we were just at that point in our lives - we didn't need a lot of time to know. He has been an AMAZING father, both to Monster Boy and to Miss Sunshine. He truly considers Monster Boy his son - he never refers to him as anything but "my son". Monster Boy has never been "my wife's son" or "her son". He's always been OUR son or HIS son. Even before we were engaged, he called him his son. That was when I knew. You don't find that very often. And I count myself lucky in so many ways that we both decided to give each other a try even when we didn't think we liked each other very much - because I never would have found the man I was meant to spend the rest of my life with if we hadn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment